Home Away From Home

Home Away From Home

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Taking Time from Media

Just this weekend I drove with my girlfriend to Idaho Falls, a trip of about three and a half hours. Typically when I drive long distances I always have the radio or my phone playing music to help pass the time. The trip up though we went the whole way without listening to a thing on the radio. Instead we talked and had some really good conversation. It even felt like a much shorter trip! I thought for sure on the way back we would have to listen to music of some kind, but again we didn't have to listen to a thing as we talked the whole way. I'm not saying that listening to music is bad as you drive or that my girlfriend and I are some amazing couple that doesn't need music to pass the time. Rather I just want to point out how much I appreciated using that driving time in a productive way, to get to know each other better and strengthen our relationship. I LOVE music, but I feel like I learned a lesson that sometimes it's ok to take a break from the media and really try to connect with people. It was a good reminder and I hope that I can apply it to other forms of media I use while engaged in different activities.


1 comment:

  1. This is really true! I think we often forget about the great interactions we can have if we unplug for a bit. There is always some form of media to fill our time and minds, but connecting with real people fills a much deeper need.

    ReplyDelete