Home Away From Home

Home Away From Home

Monday, January 25, 2016

Media in College Classrooms

I've really noticed over the last week how prevalent media has become in education, especially in our college courses. In several of my classes this semester we use power points that are often filled with links to YouTube videos with the purpose to either entertain, provide further explanation, or give examples for analysis. It's amazing to imagine that ten years ago being able to watch a video explaining Determinism (something I watched in my Family Theories class) would have been impossible.
 Of course there are always advantages and disadvantages to using media in the classroom, and that's probably why a couple of my professors have us print off our readings and just have us focus on discussions, but overall I think it has helped improve the learning process for many people. We all learn in different ways, with some of us learning through reading while others are visual learners and I think it's good to use a healthy amount of media in order to make education more wholesome and effective. I look forward to seeing how media can influence education in the classroom in the years to come.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, there are advantages and disadvantages. However, I love watching little clips of something that relates to the topic in class because that clicks for me! And it can be educational and inspiring or entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how media has changed the classroom and learning process. I find it to be a great tool that helps us expand on topics in ways that were not possible before. Personally, it definitely helps me stay interested on what is being taught!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Love this. In fact, I am a huge proponent of using media in the classroom. It makes the class so engaging and it really facilitates learning and discussion but most especially it promotes application.

    ReplyDelete